Sunday, May 19, 2019

TILAOK for Ruben de Jesus

Ruben De Jesus is a children’s book illustrator, a graphic designer, and a professor at the Department of Visual Communication, College of Fine Arts, University of the Philippines Diliman.

Ruben de Jesus, the artist


He is a founder of “Ang Ilustrador ng Kabataan” (Ang INK; the Illustrator of the Youth) and the Sectoral Representative for Illustrators of the Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY).



His illustrations in Ang Mahiyaing Manok established a distinct style recognized and honored in visual and children’s literary art circles.


The first thing you notice about Ruben de Jesus’ work is its striking colors. Vivid reds, blues and blacks rendered in bold pen strokes and subtle ink hues. A play on light and shadow. with close emphasis and focus to bring home distinct story points.


His works showcase and uphold his own work ethic and teaching practice:


CREATE. If I don’t have book projects, I pursue personal projects that will continue to make my work visible. I have regular group and solo exhibitions. I propose my solo exhibitions to the Academic Affairs Office of the university, and once approved, they are credited as my creative load (3 units) for each semester.


SHARE. I have been teaching full-time for 20 years and I put my heart and soul in this profession because of the impact it can create on the lives of these young and aspiring artists. I also accept projects that address particular concerns or promote advocacies beneficial to us Filipinos as individuals or as a community.


LEARN. Never stop learning. I learn by continuing to create. I learn as I teach. I learn also from my students. I learn by being in a group of artists who don’t take themselves too seriously, but are oozing with talent and creativity.  I also learn from random sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment